Friday, May 11, 2007

Odds and ends and Alaska

Thanks to my friend Thomas Fortenberry (without whom this blog would be dull), this story of pure stupidity. The reason religions should be banned.

Soccer game for priests, imams canceled

The Associated Press

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — A soccer game between Muslim imams and Christian priests at the end of a conference to promote interfaith dialogue was canceled Saturday because the teams could not agree on whether women priests should take part.

Church of Norway spokesman Olav Fykse Tveit said the imams refused to play against a mixed-gender team of priests because it would have gone against their beliefs in avoiding close physical contact with strange women.

The church decided to drop its female players and the priests' team captain walked out in protest.

Hours before the game was to end the daylong "Shoulder to Shoulder" conference in Oslo, the church released a statement saying it had called off the match because it was sending the wrong signal.

"Because we thought it would be a nice conclusion of the conference we didn't want to call it off, so we decided to stage an all-mens team game instead," Tveit said. "We realize now that it will be wrong to have a priest team without women."

Stupid doesn’t cover it.

*

If you love words and word play – and who doesn’t – check out http://www.visuwords.com/ As much fun as you will ever have and a good reference for words to boot.

*

And to finish the fifty states, Alaska.

Poetic States L - Alaska

Flight

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
--Peter Pan

He took me west of the Tanana
towards the Bering Sea, flying
at two hundred feet in a two seater.
A pair of swans glide below us
with the grace of Inuit dancers
to settle on a backwoods lake.
No albatross has touched down better.

Below where bogs cover the permafrost,
black spruce and highbush bilberry
attempt survival with ever-damp feet.
A bull moose lifted its head from a pond,
water and swamp weed draining
from its antlers like glacier ice
into Kenai Fjord under July’s sun.

Although, we could not hear him
bellow over the rumble of the engine,
we knew he was unhappy
we had invaded his territory.
As we climbed to return home,
Denali gave us a rare smile
before closing her cloak of clouds.

When my wife returned
from her flight, she exclaimed,
“Where can we buy one of these?”

*

See you next week.

Smiles.

Gary

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hi Gary!

I came by to introduce myself, I am a fellow member of the Shameless Lions Writing Circle.

I absolutely love your blog, and hopefully you won't mind if I link to it on my page.

I LOVE the article on the soccer match... I'm a bit of feminist, so it appealed to me in that sense, but more than anything else, it was SOOOO funny.

I love Peter Pan, and stars, and this poem about Alaska. You write very well. I saw exactly what you were describing... so close to being there.

Thank you. I enjoyed being here, too. I will be back often to visit and laugh.

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

6:09 PM  
Blogger Wanderlust Scarlett said...

Hello again!

Thanks for the email!

here's the link to my page:

http://wanderlustscarlett.blogspot.com/

I will read about the rest of the states... and hurry with your lion, there is only one left as of this afternoon, and I am sure it will be gone today!
Then all the fun begins!!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

4:34 PM  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Hi there,
Things looking great here. You need to send through a poem/prose piece of 48 words or under for the writing circle contest. Judging starts this Wednesday. Check out the circle site. Email me or post your piece into the comments section of your listing. :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

Hello Gary from Artheo and I. FYI -- As you are a fellow member of the Shameless Lions Writing Circle, I have a direct link to your site in the sidebar of my blog, below Artheo’s picture and poem. If you wish to reciprocate, my blog address is: http://image-verse.com
…thanks, Rob

4:20 PM  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Hey there, don't forget to cast your vote in the lions writing circle contest. :) Only 3 days left to get your votes in at seak@caramail.com
See the circle blog for full details!

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Gary,

I love your blogspot.

k

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I mis-typed my own website address! k

6:57 AM  
Blogger Gary B said...

Kahtt, thanks. Due to trouble posting, I've let it so for awhile, but I do have two more states (DC and territories) to post. And am doing an addition inspired by Whitman.

Smiles.

Gary

1:57 PM  
Blogger S. Kearney said...

Hey there,
There's a new writing project up at The Shameless Lions Writing Circle site. Please check it out and I hope you can promote it. But are you still there, Gary? I see no posts since May and no sign of your lovely lion. Shall I find another adopter?
Cheers, Seamus.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home